Lazar Wolfe The Butcher

Lazar Wolfe The Butcher

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Art on Train Cars #88 "She Box", 50% Beat and memories of the 80s.


I found this piece on a sulphur rail car in North Van and it's one of my favorites. It reminds me of the 1980s. I remember back then, going to the PNE and seeing kids walking around with these boomboxes (or Ghetto Blasters as we called them) and giant sheets of cardboard, offering their break dancing services in exchange for food, rides and whatever else they were hoping for.

And a few years later when I started skating, we would take trips in to skate the Broadway Bowls (one of the only three skateparks back then), where fresh Hip Hop would fill the air from the local's stereos as we skated. I was deeply impressed by this.

This beat that I slopped together (and is only half done) reminds me of these times.
Check it out.

50 Percent by Lazar Wolfe The Butcher

Here's a few faded photos from the 80s.


Here's me doing a stinky mute grab off one of our many blast ramps which were all the rage. Notice the S.M.A. Natas board with Gullwing trucks and T Bones. What a kook! Also check the rural, country setting. Backwoods Mission forever!


Tom Cleavely doing a small nose pick on the curb as I wait my turn (in the P.E. shirt) to head past to the "out of photo" ledge. Please notice the "wet pen on photo" technique for labeling the pics. Here you'll see how cool I was by not including the verical back line of the "E". Evidence that this definitely came from the 1980s.


My brother Jimmy getting taken out by our cousin Vinny for some Christmas time rough housin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment